As we are in the midst of the holidays, we are inundated with tons of holiday ads, most of which can be basic and unoriginal, but every year, some brands go above and beyond creatively to catch our attention. From television ads, to pop up stores, we’re sharing our favorite mix of marketing campaigns from the 2015 holiday season.
- Air New Zealand’s Sandman Selfie - Air New Zealand knew the perfect way to engage North Americans this holiday season: offer them a chance to win free airline tickets for a trip to New Zealand by snapping a #SandManSelfie with their SandMan. The Airline's 6 ft, 200 lbs Sandman traveled from New Zealand on Air New Zealand through Toronto, Chicago, and soon to arrive in Houston. Setting up a beach-like setting around Mr. SandMan himself with surfboard lessons, Haka dancers, "sandy" flooring & comfortable adirondack chairs helped transport guests to summer in New Zealand - especially if their winters aren't exactly "a walk on the beach."
- Target Wonderland - If Target had a theme park, this is what it would look like. This spectacle shop includes a ball pit featuring a giant LEGO pirate ship, a giant etch-a-sketch that creates your portrait, and the Target dog to get a selfie with. The sweetest part of this installment is the actual shopping experience. Shoppers no longer have to carry their purchases around the store; they can simply scan the item they want with a RFID key they were handed upon entering. The playland atmosphere combined with the simplified shopping experience is by far one of the best marketing campaigns of the year.
- John Lewis’ #ManOnTheMoon - Every year, the popular UK retail store John Lewis creates a new holiday TV ad, and every year it makes millions cry their eyes out. This year’s message is “Show someone they’re loved this Christmas.”
- Fashion Santa - One of the biggest trending topics on Facebook recently has been Fashion Santa. Canadian model, Paul Mason, is dressing as a more fashion-forward Santa and posing with mall-goers at the Yorkdale Shopping Center in Toronto. For every picture tweeted with Fashion Santa with the hashtag #YorkdaleFashionSanta, Yorkdale will donate a dollar to the SickKids Foundation.
- Coca Cola Holiday Bow Bottles - Coca-Cola has designed their bottles with their most creative label yet. When the label is partially peeled off and pulled, it creates a festive bow right on your beverage. Unfortunately for us, these special holiday bottles are only available in the UK.